LAS VEGAS — A suspected serial killer targeting homeless people in Las Vegas has been arrested and charged with fatally shooting two people and wounding two others in what appear to be random attacks, police said.
Joshua Castellon, 26, was initially arrested by the FBI last week on a weapons charge, but has now been charged with murdering two homeless in cold blood as they slept. He has also been charged with two other similar shootings in which the victims survived, the Las Vegas police said.
“The good news is that we have a suspect in custody and we’re relieved that a dangerous person is off the streets,” said Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department Capt. Robert Plummer.
Police say the shootings appeared to be random.
The first fatal shooting occurred in the early morning hours of Jan. 29 when a man was shot to death while sleeping outside a business. Later that morning a second homeless man was taken to a hospital after being shot in the mouth. He lived.
A third man was shot by a passing motorist as he cleaned a car and also survived. Four days later, a surveillance camera captured a man walking up to a homeless man under bridge and fatally shooting him, police said.
In mid-February, detectives began closing in on Castellon after receiving some tips, contacting his estranged wife who told them she believed her husband had bought a gun in January. When detectives caught up to Castellon, he agreed to come in for an interview.
Castellon was initially arrested after he told detectives he had bought the gun with the intention of selling it to someone else. The handgun believed to have been used in the shootings has not been recovered.