ORLANDO, Florida — When they tell you not to smoke around propane tanks, they’re not kidding around.
Two people narrowly escaped being turned to ash on Sunday when a propane grill they were transporting in their car blew up after the wife lit a cigarette, Orlando police said.
As it turned out, the couple had the grill tucked into the back of their Kia Sorrento with the gas on and flowing. A quick light of her smoke blew the top off the car and sent the windshield flying.
A gas grill being transported inside this car exploded when passenger lit a cigarette. 2 in car sustained burns; not life threatening. pic.twitter.com/76OaeJiCiv
— Orlando Police (@OrlandoPolice) August 13, 2017
The car then crashed into a pole.
The couple, who were not identified, were taken to an area hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.