CINCINNATI — They say being overweight can kill you, but apparently it can continue posing a threat to others even after you die.
Authorities in Cincinnati say a dangerous grease fire was sparked at a funeral home during the cremation of an overly obese man.
“When a morbidly obese person is cremated, there’s a danger of what can only be called (in layman’s terms) a ‘grease fire,'” according to Caleb Wilde, a licensed funeral director told WCPO-TV.
The fire department says the flames spread to nearby container used to hold ashes and that they may have been stored too close to the crematorium.
The building is highly fireproof so the flames were contained but it still took firefighters two hours to get the situation under control. The building was not heavily damaged.
It’s not the first time that cremating the body of a an obese person has caused such a fire. In 2014, a funeral home in Virginia caught fire during the cremation of a 500-pound man.